Skip to content

Are you interested in studying in Canada?

Are you interested in studying in Canada?

Are you interested in studying in Canada?

Are you interested in studying in Canada? If so, you may need to get a study permit. A study permit is a special document that allows someone to study in Canada for a certain period. 

To get a study permit, you will need to apply to the Canadian immigration authorities and show that you meet certain requirements. Some of the mandatory conditions you need to satisfy:

  • Obtain a letter of acceptance from the Canadian education institution (school, college, university, etc.). Not just any institution, but the one, which is designated by the Canadian authorities. Such schools are called Designated Learning Institutions.  Make sure to get a letter of acceptance from one of the schools from the list: List of designated institutions
  • To have a chance to get admitted to a designated post secondary learning institution, you generally need to have strong proficiency in English or French languages: minimum 6 out of 10. You may secure a conditional admission from certain designated learning institutions even with a lower score (conditions apply).
  • Proof that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses, and return travel. You must demonstrate that you have enough funds for one year of studies which is approximately CAN$30 000 (assuming tuition fees of CAN$20 000 + CAN$10 000 of living expenses).
  • Proof that you are in good health and do not have a criminal record (you may be asked by IRCC to submit criminal record certificates and undergo medical examination). You may still have a chance to study in Canada even if you have security and / or medical issues (conditions apply).

If you are approved for a study permit, you will be able to come to Canada and study. You will also be able to do things like travel within Canada and apply for a part-time job on campus or for an open work permit. Open work permit will allow you to work for up to 20 hours per week** while pursuing full time studies. You will be permitted to work for any Canadian employer.

Once you graduate from a Canadian educational institution, you may be eligible for a Post Graduate work permit for a period of up to 3 years, depending on the duration of your study program.

Post Graduate work permit allows one to work for any Canadian employer anywhere in Canada for the duration of Post graduate work permit. 

Canadian work experience acquired while working in Canada on a post graduate work permit may make you eligible to apply for Canadian Permanent Residency.

There are several options you can explore for Canadian Permanent Residency:

  1. 1. Express Entry:

    The Express Entry system is a points-based system that assesses candidates based on their age, education, work experience, language proficiency, and other factors. If you meet the eligibility requirements and score high enough in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), you may be invited to apply for permanent residence.
  3. 2. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs):

    Each Canadian province and territory has its own PNP, which allows them to nominate individuals who meet their specific economic and labour market needs for permanent residence. Many PNPs have streams that are tailored to international students who have completed their studies in Canada and have relevant work experience.
  5. 3. Canadian Experience Class (CEC):

    The CEC is a program that is specifically designed for individuals who have work experience in Canada. If you have completed your studies in Canada and have gained relevant work experience, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the CEC.

It's important to note that each immigration program has its own eligibility requirements and application process. It's best to research each program in detail to determine which one is the best fit for you. Consult with our experienced immigration lawyer and consultant at Desjardins Lawyers to help you navigate the process.

**Who can work more than 20 hours per week off campus

From November 15, 2022, until December 31, 2023, you can work more than 20 hours per week off campus while class is in session if you

  • are a study permit holder and are studying at a DLI full-time (or part-time during your final academic session) OR
  • have been approved for a study permit but haven’t arrived in Canada yet

In addition, you must meet all these requirements:

  • IRCC received your application for this study permit (including extensions) on or before October 7, 2022.
  • You have 1 of the following off-campus work authorizations printed on your study permit:
    • May work 20 hrs. per week off campus, or full time during regular breaks, if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR.
    • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.
  • You must be either in Canada or coming to Canada by December 31, 2023.


Download Checklist Button Image