ABOUT PEI'S BUSINESS IMPACT WORK PERMIT PROGRAM
Located on the east coast of Canada, Prince Edward Island ("PEI") connects to the Canadian mainland via the Confederation Bridge which spans 13 km, making it the world’s longest bridge. Once on the island, you are never more than 16 kilometres from the Atlantic ocean which surrounds it. Covering an area of 5,660 square kilometres and a population of roughly 140,000 people, PEI is the smallest province of Canada.
Despite its small size, PEI played a very important role in Canadian history and is actually referred to as the birthplace of Canada. Charlottetown is the capital city with a population of 40,000.
Agriculture, fishing, and tourism are the primary industries on PEI, while sectors identified for growth include aerospace, bioscience, and information technology.
- Have a minimum personal net worth of CAD$600 000 - No more than 30% of net corporate assets may be considered as personal net worth.
- Have at least 3 years of previous management experience.
- Have at least a two (2) years post-secondary diploma.
- Be within 21-59 years of age at the time of application.
- Have a minimum score of 4.0 on the IELTS.
- Make a minimum of CAD$150 000 investment in their own business (you can own 100%) and run the business for 12 months showing at least CAD$75 000 in operating costs.
- The CAD$75 000 operating costs cannot include salary to Principal Applicant or family members; Business does not need to be successful or profitable nor is there any minimum hiring requirements.
- Provide active and on-going management of the business from within PEI. Must have an approved business plan to do business in PEI - to be prepared in collaboration with Desjardins Lawyers.