Skip to content

How to Obtain Canadian Permanent Residency Via a Work Permit

How to Obtain Canadian Permanent Residency Via a Work Permit

How to Obtain Canadian Permanent Residency Via a Work Permit

A Canadian work permit can be a great option if you’re looking for a way to come to Canada in the short-term. 

While a work permit is typically valid from 12 to 36 months, after which it is expected that you will return to your home country, certain conditions may allow you to extend your work permit; more specifically, if you can demonstrate that there is an ongoing need for your skills in the position you have been holding. 

In this article, we’ll explore how you can make the transition from a Canadian work permit-holder to a permanent resident. 

The value of obtaining a Canadian work permit

Although a Canadian work permit may appear to be an opportunity to enter and stay in Canada temporarily, you should not discount the fact that in your 12-36 months in Canada you not only gain valuable work experience but potentially also gain  Canadian Permanent Residency. 

Having Canadian work experience can become one of the major factors in qualifying for the Canadian Permanent residency. Under the Express Entry criteria it can boost your CRS score significantly, and may set you apart from other candidates in one of the most competitive immigration streams. 

If you’re interested in immigrating to Canada permanently, obtaining a work permit is a great first step towards that goal. 

Applying through Canada’s Express Entry system

With Canadian work experience, one of the best ways to apply for permanent residency is through Canada’s Express Entry system. Commonly known as the fastest and easiest way to immigrate to Canada, the Express Entry system is also highly competitive. 

When applying through Express Entry, you will be ranked against other candidates based on a comprehensive ranking system (CRS). This score takes into consideration your ability to contribute to the Canadian economy, your English and French language skills, education, work experience, and age. 

There are three immigration streams operated under Canada’s Express Entry system: Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades, and Canadian Experience Class.

This is where your work experience can give you a significant advantage, as it may boost your CRS score by 250 points, depending on your job.

Once you have at least 12 months of Canadian work experience under your belt, you can qualify for the Canadian Experience Class stream. This stream has less stringent requirements compared to the Federal Skilled Worker stream, which places more weight on criteria such as age and education level. 

Under the Canadian Experience Class, only your work experience in Canada and language proficiency will be taken into consideration. This can be a huge advantage to applicants who may not qualify through other streams of the Express Entry system. 

Canada’s Express Entry program is highly competitive, and the requirements are always changing. To give yourself the best chance of success you should submit your application as soon as possible. 

If you’re interested in exploring your options for Canadian immigration, or learning more about the immigration process in general, one of the best things you can do is work with a qualified immigration lawyer. At Desjardins Lawyers, we work with clients every day to simplify the immigration process and give them the best possible chance of success.

Download Checklist Button Image